There are three options for conservatives that I can understand and one that is totally unforgivable. Many conservatives and quite a few Republicans (including many who are planning to vote for Trump) have serious reservations about Trump. Trump is the most flawed candidate the GOP have nominated in my life time. Concerns about Trump are in the following areas: Trump recent foreign policy pronouncements including recent comments on Ukraine. Trump failed to grasp that Russia were already in Ukraine. Some have questioned past clients for being lobbyists. including campaign chairman Paul Mannafort, whose clients include friends of Putin.
Trump’s foreign policy resembles the policies of Sanders, Clinton and.Obama. This is the policy of America coming home to rebuild America first (translation: using the peace dividend to expand government power at home). His support for more government spending on infrastructure does not show a real dedication to keeping the budget in line. Nor has Trump helped himself with his delayed support for GOP candidates such as Paul Ryan and John McCain. This leaves many Republicans with the impression that Trump is not concerned with keeping Congress.
Many Republicans and conservatives do have concerns about a Trump Presidency and the damage it could do to conservatism. The problem is similar to the famous Star Trek no win Kobayashi Maru: If you support Gary Johnson or leave the President ballot blank, you are ensuring a Hillary Clinton victory. But by voting for Trump, are you putting in a candidate with questionable fitness for office? For many conservatives, a vote for Trump is nothing more than a vote against Hillary Clinton.
I understand a good portion of the Never Trump movement since I have friends who are members. I can easily forgive a vote for Gary Johnson. But, one has to be clear what the alternative is. And, unless, like in Star Trek where James T. Kirk cheated to win, there is no cheating here. Short of a miracle, a Gary Johnson victory, which is highly unlikely, there is no good alternative. Which is worse – what Trump could do or what we know Clinton will do?
There is one option that no Republican or conservative can do, vote for Hillary Clinton. How can you not vote for Trump because you view he lacks the fitness or questionable knowledge of the issues when Hillary Clinton’s own flaws are far worse?
Hillary Clinton’s sins include:
- Being a serial liar for most of her public life. The first exhibit was her interview with Chris Wallace where she misrepresented FBI Director James Comey’s statements about her email servers.
- The Clinton Foundation was nothing more than a scheme to enrich the Clintons and their entourage while preparing for the 2016 run. Ignore the fact that much of the foundation spending does not even reach the recipients. Just view the number of foreign governments and individuals who contributed to the Clinton Foundation with favors in front of the Government while Hillary Clinton was a Senator before moving to Secretary of State.
- The Clintons have seen their income soar to nine figures while working in the public sector over the past fifteen years. How much of that is a result of influence peddling?
- As for the Russians, Hillary Clinton’s reset button has been very good for Putin. He now owns, through his surrogates, half of Ukraine. And, additionally a significant portion of our uranium deposits. Meanwhile, the Clintons got richer.
- Clinton’s own incompetence at State along with her boss, President Obama. They have managed to make us less secure today. Iraq and the rest of the Middle East was stable when she became Secretary of State. Now, it is aflame with the Syria Civil war resulting in the deaths of nearly half a million. Refugees from Syria are now flooding Europe and the United States. Libya is an ISIS playground. Iraq is a mess. Yemen is in a civil war on the borders of the Saudis. Iran is in line to get a nuclear weapon. And, Obama/Clinton’s policy has allowed Iran to establish a hegemony over the region. Our alliances are in jeopardy around the world as China and Russia are now challenging us throughout the world. And I didn’t even bring up Benghazi.
- Clinton’s domestic policy is nothing more than Bernie Sanders economic plan. Basically, the Clinton Democratic policy is essentially a Democratic socialistic party.
Based on these facts, how can any Republican support Hillary? The best thing the Republican candidates can do is simply ask their Democratic opponents: How can you support an individual who has put our national security at risk while profiting from it? Republicans need to turn this into an election on the qualification of Hillary Clinton. Hillary has seen her poll numbers improve by making the case that Trump is not qualified or fit to be President. If you undermine that, Republicans can defend their seats and who knows, Trump can win.